The Battle of Flu Prevention
Although the weather is a bit misleading, we are in the start of flu season. While many people may have misconceptions about the vaccine, think they are immune to the flu, or may even believe the flu is a myth, it is very important to take the preventative measures to thrive during flu season. Moreover, if you were skeptical about the flu and its vaccine, here are some WebMD stats that might change your mind.
- Between 5% to 20% of the U.S. population will get the flu, each year
- 200,000 Americans are hospitalized each year from the flu and its complications
- In the U.S., 3,000 – 49,000 people will die each year from flu-related causes
- Finally, it can take between 1-4 days before flu symptoms begin to show, and you may still be contagious 5-10 days after the illness starts.
As you see, it’s important to take the preventative steps that aid in virus prevention, not only for yourself, but for those around you. Where can you find these tips? Look no further than your R-Health doctors, who are always available for you. Remember, staying positive and relaxed helps the immune system. If you are not yet an R-Health member, here are some tips to get you started.
- Get the Flu vaccine
- Wash hands frequently
- Eat Well (plenty of veggies, fruits, and healthy fats, while avoiding added sugar)
- Stay well hydrated.
- Get enough sleep.
- Wear a coat and other cold weather gear (hat/gloves/scarf) when needed
- Vitamin D (take 1000-20000 iu daily) unless otherwise recommended by your doctor
In the unfortunate instance you contract the flu, there are a few treatment options you can explore as well. Talk to your doctor as soon as you have symptoms to find out if a prescription anti-flu medication is needed. If you don’t have any special medical circumstances, often natural measures are best. Subsequently, below are some natural treatment tips for the flu:
- Elderberry – Take Sambucol (1 tablespoon, 4x a day, for 5 days at first sight of the flu).
- If you have contact with the flu you can also use Sambucol as means of prevention (2 tablespoons, 2x a day)
- Zinc – Take Zinc Lozenge (avoid intranasal zinc) every 1-3 hours for 3 days at first signs of the flu
- Steam inhalation with Eucalyptus oil and Chamomile can ease congestion, cough, and mucous membrane irritation
- Bone Broth – Soup helps boost the immune system
- Beef bone broth, and yes, even chicken noodle soup works well!
- Honey – A natural cough suppressant, honey works better than Delsym. Take ½ to 1 tsp every 1-2 hours as needed.
- Treat a fever only to feel comfortable – High temperatures boost your immune system, but if needed, use the lowest effect dose of fever reducers like ibuprofen and acetaminophen.
- Try the wet sock technique: put on a pair of wet socks, then a dry pair overtop
As a note, it’s important to inform your doctor on all herbal medicines you plan to take, and more importantly, if you experience shortness of breath, severe headache, confusion, and/or the inability to keep fluids down. Remember you have unlimited access to your R-Health doctors who are available to you.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!