Recipes for Success
Part of having a good team is having great team members, and our R-Health doctors are exactly that. Not only are our doctors always accessible to their members, but they constantly share insightful and intriguing information unrelated to medicine that our team and our members certainly enjoy. We asked Dr. Miller, our doctor at R-Health Voorhees, if she had any recommendations for our members, and she shared with us both a book and a delicious recipe.
For her book, Dr. Miller recommended Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult. Debuting #1 as a New York Times bestseller, the story follows a nurse who gets sued while battling the ever-present challenges of our time such as prejudice, justice, and race. Garnering great success since its debut, Small Great Things was recently added to the National Network of State Teacher of the Year’s (NNSTOY) booklist in 2017.
Furthermore, if you’re looking for a healthy meal, look no further than Dr. Miller. An R-Health doctor by day and amateur chef by night (we think), Dr. Miller loves to cook. She shared her recipe for Kale Soup below.
Dr. Miller’s Kale Soup
- Green Pepper Diced
- Red Pepper Diced
- Medium Onion
- Turkey Kielbasa
- Red Kidney Beans
- 16 oz. Stewed Tomatoes
- 32 oz. Beef Stock
- 28-32 oz. Chicken Stock, Low Sodium
- 2 Carrots, Peeled and Chopped
- 2-3 Potatoes (other than white is healthier), Peeled and Diced
- Frozen Package of Kale (10 oz.)
- Sauté red pepper, onion and green pepper in olive oil
- Add it to the beef and chicken stock that has 2 tbsp. of adobo and 1 tbsp. of dried jerk simmering
- Sauté the kielbasa to brown and add to the pot
- Add diced potatoes and sliced carrots cook until tender – take some out and mash then add back to thicken the soup
- Add the stewed tomatoes
- Add the kidney beans
- Add the frozen kale and simmer for a couple of hours
- Serve it with sourdough or garlic bread
As you can see, our doctors are multifaceted but above all, are experts in primary care. Be sure to schedule your appointment with your R-Health doctor, and with all the time you have with them, maybe you can swap books and recipes too.