WHY SLEEP IS IMPORTANT FOR YOUR HEALTH
Getting quality sleep is one of the best things you can do for your health. As you sleep, your body is working to support healthy brain function which protects your mental health, physical health, quality of life, and safety.
Don’t know if you get enough sleep? The way you feel while you’re awake depends in part on what happens while you’re sleeping. The damage from sleep deficiency can occur in an instant, affecting how well you think, react, work, learn, and get along with others. It can also cause harm over time, such as creating chronic health problems.
How sleepy you feel during the day can help you figure out whether you’re having symptoms of sleep deprivation. You might be sleep deficient if you often feel like you could doze off while:
- Sitting and reading or watching TV
- Sitting still in a public place, such as a movie theater, meeting, or classroom
- Riding in a car for an hour without stopping
- Sitting and talking to someone
- Sitting quietly after lunch
- Sitting in traffic for a few minutes
If you responded yes to any of the above, please contact your doctor. Your doctor will be able to assess your symptoms and try to improve your sleep for a better night’s rest.