It appears winter is behind us (fingers crossed!). Short sleeves, ice cream, and warm nights aren’t the only reasons to get excited for spring. The season also brings surprisingly great health benefits as well.
Of the many benefits that encompass spring, Everyday Health narrowed it down to six things that should excite you and your health.
- Extra Daylight
- Lack of Vitamin D can put your bones at risk, but during the spring you can soak up all the nutrients your body needs. (Remember to take precautions in order to balance healthy sun exposure versus burning.)
- Extra sunlight serves as a natural mood booster and helps with seasonal depression some people suffer from during the dark fall and winter months.
- Healthier Home
- Spring time means spring cleaning. Not only is it a great calorie burning exercise, but the cleaning of your home, car, office, and other areas can rid you of bacteria that may free you from spring colds and help seize control of your allergies.
- Spring-cleaned Diet
- Around the warmer months you’ll find yourself eating less and going out more.
- When you do eat, there are more healthy options available since many fresh fruits and vegetables are ripe for the taking.
- Look for your spring produce at your local farmer’s market.
- Outdoor Exercise
- With warmer temperatures you’re more inclined to explore the outdoors.
- Studies have shown time outdoors helps with reduced stress and lowering blood pressure.
- Warmer weather also offers more opportunity for outdoor exercises (e.g. runs, walks, swimming, etc.)
- No winter skin
- Gone are the days of dry skin and with the added vitamin D you’ll surely be moisturized.
- Spring Break
- These are the best times for vacations. Whether near home or getting away, getaways are great ways to manage stress and has been linked to reduced risks of breast cancer and cardiovascular disease.
As you see, there’s plenty to enjoy during these upcoming months, but be sure to keep your health as a priority. Reach out to your doctor if your experiencing any changes during these times, so you make the best of this season.